High-quality particulate silica aerogel enables best-in-class solutions for energy-efficient buildings and industrial infrastructure, safe-to-touch surfaces, personal care products and more.
Aerogel, known as the “world’s best insulating solid material,” is used to enhance the thermal performance of energy-saving materials and sustainable products for buildings, on- and off-shore industrial infrastructure and consumer products, as well as acting as a high performance additive to coatings and personal care offerings. Our product line enables a wide range of product forms and applications, including:
- Interior and exterior insulating plasters for breathable building envelopes and facades
- Insulation boards for internal insulating finishing systems
- Thermal insulation coatings for safe-to-touch surfaces, energy efficiency, prevention of corrosion under insulation (CUI), thermal breaks and condensation control
- Insulation packs for oil and gas subsea pipelines
- Architectural daylighting panels, glass units and tensile roofing systems
- Non-wovens for architectural membrane roofing
- Industrial insulation
- Ultra low gloss matte paint coatings for industrial surfaces
- Outdoor gear and apparel
- Personal products including skin and beauty care
We are the global leader in producing high quality particulate silica aerogel. We are the only company to develop a commercialized process that allows continuous production of aerogel under ambient conditions. Our innovative, proprietary process successfully produces high quality material while effectively bypassing the high costs associated with traditional aerogel production methods for safe, continuous manufacture of this versatile and high-performing material.
- Best in thermal insulation. Aerogel particles are open, porous, finely structured, lightweight and hydrophobic synthetic amorphous silica. Depending on the grade, aerogel particles range from microns to millimeters in diameter. Its porous structure is smaller than the mean free path of air, greatly limiting thermal conductivity and thus greatly enhancing thermal insulation performance. It is water repellent, but also water vapor open, making it possible to design aerogel-containing insulation materials and systems with moisture management and control.
- Museum-quality daylighting. Aerogel particles are also translucent and effectively disperse light. This makes aerogel an ideal choice for applications where light scattering and diffusion is needed, such as in daylighting units for buildings, architectural tensile roofing, antiglare and antireflective matte coatings and plastics, light-emitting diode (LED) diffusors, displays and lighting, and more.
- High performance additive. Aerogel boasts ultra-high surface area. Combined with its high internal capacity and superhydrophobicity, aerogel particles are increasingly enabling applications such as organics filtration and sequestration, filled polymer reinforcement, sebum absorption in personal care products, thixotropic rheology modification and more.
European Coatings Show
April 4-6, 2017
Exhibition Centre in Nuremberg, Germany
Booth 1-418 in Hall 1
We will exhibit at this conference, which is the world-leading exhibition for paint and coatings. This event helps educate attendees on the latest developments and top trends that are pushing paint and coating innovations including sustainability, nanotechnology, green coatings, rising prices as well as new applications of TiO2.
Solving Complex Challenges
Aerogel technology for green buildings
Our donation of LUMIRA® aerogel will be utilized for insulated glass daylighting systems in Artists For Humanity’s EpiCenter expansion project, resulting in the largest Energy Positive (E+) commercial building in New England.
“We are proud to support Artists for Humanity, as this pioneering and iconic facility will not only be a model that can be replicated for green building and renewable energy efforts across the globe, but will demonstrate the energy-saving capabilities of our aerogel technology and the feasibility of green development,” said Sean Keohane, president and CEO.
Certifications & Declarations
How is aerogel manufactured? Why is aerogel a superior thermal insulator? Learn more about the properties and applications of aerogel in our frequently asked questions section.