Our graphene additives are remarkably strong, conductive and flexible in nature.
Research continues to find more applications for graphene nanoplatelets. While both graphenes and standard carbon black are made from carbon atoms, the unique shape and structure of graphenes provide a unique combination of properties and expand the range of possible applications.
Pristine graphene is a single layer of hexagonally bonded carbon atoms that, when stacked together, form graphite. Graphite is a very common allotrope of carbon that can be produced synthetically, but is also a natural mineral, which has been used for thousands of years for writing and has a large number of applications of its own. Single-layer graphenes were first isolated around 2004 and found to have a unique combination of properties:
- Higher electrical and thermal conductivity than copper
- 100 times the mechanical strength of steel
- Optical transparency when only a few layers thin
- Impermeability to any atom or molecule
Graphene-based materials and graphenes are a family of industrial products produced using a variety of processes either from graphite or other precursors. These materials are typically a few-layered sheets of graphenes that are in the form of platelets and maintain some of the properties of pristine graphene (such as two-dimensional platelet shape, aspect ratio and graphitic bonding).
These materials can break trade-offs and are valuable additives to many applications, such as:
- Electrically conductive polymer compounds, composite materials, elastomers, coatings, battery electrodes and inks
- Mechanically reinforced structural composites, elastomers and polymer compounds
- Barrier films
- Thermally conductive polymer compounds, composite materials, elastomers and coatings
- Electromagnetic (EMI) shielding components
We are developing graphenes for a number of applications with selected collaborators and are interested in building a network of potential collaborators in both industry and academia to continue to advance our capabilities. If you are interested in using graphenes or are working in this area and would like to know more about our plans, please contact us.
Product stewardship is our priority. Visit our certifications and declarations library to download information on Responsible Care®, ISO, EU REACH and other regulations.Certifications and Declarations