Pharmaceutical Creams & Gels
Our products enable superior performance in liquid and semi-solid dosage forms.
Our CAB-O-SIL® M-5P and M-5DP fumed silicas are key excipients in a wide range of pharmaceutical products. In liquid and semi-solid dosage forms, these products provide the following benefits:
- Stabilization and anti-settling. CAB-O-SIL M-5P and M-5DP untreated fumed silicas can stabilize dispersions of solids in liquids and help prevent the formation of sediments in liquid suspensions.
- Thickening. CAB-O-SIL M-5P and M-5DP untreated fumed silicas can convert non-polar liquids into spreadable gels. The gels will not melt at body temperature, enabling applications where precise area-dosing is required.
- Transparency. Clear gels can be formulated if the refractive index of the system matches that of CAB-O-SIL fumed silica (1.46).
- Stability and uniform distribution. CAB-O-SIL M-5P and M-5DP untreated fumed silicas improve the consistency and stability of suppositories and can increase the softening point without affecting the melting point.
- Spraying Aid. In topical aerosol products, CAB-O-SIL fumed silica can help to reduce clogs in the atomizer and prevent the formation of sediments.
CAB-O-SIL M-5P fumed silica meets all the requirements for:
- "Colloidal Silicon Dioxide" in the U.S. Pharmacopeia/National Formulary
- "Silica, Colloidal Anhdryous" in the European Pharmacopoeia
- "Light Anhydrous Silicic Acid" in the Japanese Pharmacopoeia
CAB-O-SIL M-5DP fumed silica meets all the requirements for:
- "Colloidal Silicon Dioxide" as described in the U.S. Pharmacopoeia National Formulary
- "Silica, Colloidal Anhydrous" as described in the European Pharmacopoeia
CAB-O-SIL M-5DP fumed silica is currently available in Europe only.